Tuesday, October 4, 2011

France

When I was in ninth grade, I took a culinary arts trip to Paris, France with my high school. I was studying to become a chef at that time and what better way to learn how to cook than to watch and experience the mastery that France has over its cuisine? I even had the opportunity to cook in the kitchen at Le Cordon Bleu, where I burned the rice and needed assistance in twisting my crayfish's tail (this is why I am a teacher now, not a chef).  As a fourteen year old, this exquisite trip to Paris was wasted on me. I only remember seeing the Eiffel Tower, eating a croque monsieur almost every night at Café Convention, and staying in an extremely small hotel room for a week.   My dream vacation is to return to Paris and experience sites that are not tourist traps where I would only leave with a key chain souvenir. I want to go back and marvel at Paris' elegance and beauty through it's delectable food and breathtaking sights. Let me share with you an ideal day in Paris, France.

Paris is split in half by the River Seine. To the north of the river, lies the Right bank (Rive droite), and the left bank (Rive gauche) is south of the river. The right bank houses most of the monumental buildings and major museums. Meanwhile, the left bank has a more relaxed and free-spirited feel. The best bars and restaurants can be found there as well as chic shops.

 Paris is also broken into twenty postal districts, called arrondissements. The first postal district is located on the Louvre and then the rest spiral outwards in a clockwise manner. You will travel to three different sights in one day, all of which are in different arrondissements of Paris.
Imagine it is a Thursday in June, Paris is a delightful 70 degrees, the sun is shining and you have a travel umbrella just in case of a common quick shower during the day. The previous day was spent seeing the most common attractions in Paris: The Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, Cathédrale de Notre Dame, and the Eiffel Tower in the sparkling evening. The 2,138,551 inhabitants of Paris were starting to wear me down; I need something a little more low-key. Today, I am going to experience three different spots in Paris; not a typical trip in Paris, but definitely a worthwhile one. (http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Paris/Paris_climate.shtml)

An entire day is planned from 
morning 'til evening.
Morning
Cost: 185€

Arrondissement: 18
Metro: Jules Joffrin (line 12) or Chateau rouge (line 4)


French cuisine is diverse due to the variety of available ingredients within the regions of France.  French meals can range from a simple baguette and cheese to a twelve course elaborate meal.   Neighboring countries and economic development also play a role in the diversity of the food.  The areas that border Italy serve foods that are similar to Italian dishes, while areas such as Alsace have German inspired food.  More affluent areas of France have dishes with richer ingredients and may be more complicated, but mountainous regions favor cheeses due to the livestock and the ability to let it firm during the colder months.  Many French restaurants outside of France are viewed as stuffy and complex, but in actuality, most French cuisine is simple and highlights the fresh ingredients and the process of cooking.  (http://www.france-property-and-information.com/french_food.htm)



With that, planning a meal, selecting prime ingredients from a market, and preparing a meal in France may seem daunting, but a few hours at Cook'n with Class will subside any fears. This small cooking school is located in the glorious district of Montmartre in the Right bank, and is the perfect way to experience french culture through its taste buds. The variety of classes are taught by experienced chefs who have worked in the food industry all over the world for many years. The morning market class begins with a trip to the local market and a lesson on choosing fresh produce, cheese, meat, and fish used in that day's menu. While at the market, test out your basic French vegetable and fruit vocabulary. The merchants are happy to help with selections. If I'm still having trouble (even after reviewing the French tutorial below), the instructors luckily speak English.


Common French Phrases that might be helpful while browsing the markets or anywhere else in Paris.




Once I am back in the kitchen, it's all hands on. The menu of a four course meal is discussed and knife safety skills are reviewed. Aprons on, knives in hands, and I will be put to work. This is the ideal way to experience the french culture: begin with the freshest food, devour a starter, main course, dessert, cheese, and end the meal with a delicious bottle of wine. Bon Appetit!

Afternoon
Cost: Free

Arrondissement: 6
Metro: Odeon or Cluny La Sorbonne (Lines 4, 10)
 After all that hard work in kitchen, I will spend the afternoon relaxing in the picturesque Luxembourg Gardens on the Left bank.  Take the Metro Line 4 from Chateau Rogue to Odeon, which is approximately 10 stops. Have a picnic with left over food from the cooking class and add a few pastries such as almond and apricot bread, croissants, macarons, and cheeses from local cafés. This is a divine spot to enjoy the peace and quiet I cannot find among the hustle and bustle of touristy Paris.



King of France, Henri IV, was assassinated in 1610 and as a result, his wife, Marie de Medici could no longer bear to live in the Lourve without her husband. The Palais du Luxembourg and the Jardin du Luxembourg were then built to replicate her home in Florence and served as her new home. The French Senate currently owns the 224,500 m² garden and enforces strict rules. Signs are posted all over to remind visitors of what is expected of them. This is a small price to pay for the perfectly groomed shrubs, arrays of colorful blooms, and trash free paths. 


Although I have no young children, for those of you traveling with young children, the garden also has areas designated for children with swings, merry-go-rounds, a puppet theater and ponies for rent. Just be ready to avert eyes and be wary of the spots where teenagers have claimed as their make out spots...Paris is the city of romance.
Medicis' original home: Palazzo Pitti & Medicis' new home: Palais Luxembourg


The second largest public park/garden has been open to the public since the 17th century 
The romantic Medici fountain


1. A scale model of the Statue of Liberty is found at the medieval abbey church of St. Martin des Champs

2. Paris' largest apiary can be found in the garden's southwest corner that was founded in 1856



For a bite to eat before the final stop- a few suggestions of restaurants in the area: (http://www.europeupclose.com/)

In the 6th arrondissement:

*Les Editeurs- (The Publisher's Café): A 200 seat cafe, restaurant, bar, lounge, and library! 

*La Rotonde- (The Rotunda): An extensive menu for a casual French cuisine meal.

*Sud-Oeste & Cie- (The SouthWest): If you are in the mood for duck and southwest French aperitif, this is the place for you.

In the 7th arrondissement:

*La Cigale Recamier- (The Cicada Recamier): Sweet or savory French souffles are the item to order on the garden terrace. [no website, but great review on Zagat]

*La Petite Chaise- (The Small House): On record the oldest restaurant in Paris, founded in 1680. Low-key meals are offered in this historic place.

*Les Ministeres- (Ministries): An all inclusive menu is provided with a starter, entrée plate, and dessert just steps away from Musée d'Orsay
Evening
Cost: 8€
Arrondissement: 7
Metro: Musée d'Orsay (Line 10)
 The peace and beauty of the Jardin du Luxembourg could entice me to remain there the entire rest of the day, but there is one more stop before turning in. Time for a little more culture in the form of art. My last stop is the Musée d'Orsay- to get there from the gardens, walk up to the St. Michel station and take one stop on the Metro Line 10 to Musée d'Orsay. The museum closes at 9:45pm on Thursday nights, so I can take my time to enjoy the art.



Upon entering the 175 meter long and 75 meter wide museum, you will notice an ornate, over-sized clock and arched ceilings of glass windows that reach the height of at least 40 meters. This long hall filled with paintings and sculptures used to be a railway station. The Gare d'Orsay was up and running in the 1900s, carrying passengers to and from the station. By 1939, trains were too long in length to be used at this railway station, so it was used as a parking lot, theater location, and even a mailing center for packages sent to prisoners of war. It was not until 1978 that the idea of converting this architectural masterpiece into a museum was formed. The museum opened to the public, eight years later.

"A Day at the Musée d'Orsay" Musée d'Orsay: Overview




The collections at the Louvre (which is right across the way) can be overwhelming.  There is too much to see and one day is not enough. The smaller Musée d' Orsay is easier to navigate and has a more concentrated collection that spans from neoclassicism, impressionism, expressionism, and nouveau design. The rich interior and layout allows you to make your way through in just a few hours. If you get hungry while touring the museum in the evening, there is the Café de l'horloge on the top level. (http://www.aviewoncities.com/paris/garedorsay.htm)


Some highlighted artists at the museum are Ingres, Monet, Degas, Rodin and Van Gogh. (Below: Birth of Venus by Botticelli*Gates of Hell by Rodin*Blue Water Lillies by Monet)

I will end my evening by admiring the "city of lights" by stroll though the streets and let the magical Parisian atmosphere seep in. This day is one that will definitely leave a lasting memory in me  Bon voyage!

11 comments:

  1. I love the culinary framework for this blog! It is kind of the way I do travel - by meal. One of the first things I research when I travel is the local fare and when I arrive at a destination I ask locals where they eat (and what they eat/what's good). This would be a really good resource for a traveler - it is a good blend of culinary, economy (always important), and destinations. It works as both a travel and an educational tool and it leaves me "hungry for more" to know about France. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your blog is like an actual tour: day by day, with an itinerary and suggestions for the time spent there. The framing of images was nicely done too.
    --Annabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you've made your blog. I love to travel by meal. Food is the first thing comes in my mind if i go somewhere for vacation.Your blog is an actual tour.
    Saira

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you focused on just one city! My vacations always strongly revolve around food and culinary experiences so I really enjoyed that focus too. I really like how you included the cost of each activity. Visually, the blog is very easy to read and the diverse selection of photos help make it engaging. - Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how this blog was centered around food and the culinary arts. I thought that this was a great idea. Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always say that I will be a chef in my third career...haha. I love to cook and have always wanted to travel to either France or Italy to take a culinary class. What a great experience you must have had to cook at Le Cordon Bleu. I hope you are able to return one day. It is true...much different perspective at 14 years old vs. now. I especially liked the way you focused on one day...great photos. ~ Tana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted to travel to Paris since my first French class in middle school, so I really enjoyed reading your blog. I love that you chose to explore places that are likely unfamiliar to the tourist, for example Musée d' Orsay instead of the Louvre. I also love that you chose to focus on food because that is such a huge part of traveling to a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote the last comment, just forgot to write my name. -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved this post! I liked learning about the arrondisements and now have a better feel for the layout of Paris! I visited there some years ago and love the city. I liked the French language lessons in a video and the beautiful images of the historical sites and the art. Your framing of this trip as meal stops in one day was pretty clever and you did it masterfully!

    Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hints of art really added color and gave the post an added dimension. I had the pleasure of visiting France and was able to visit the different towns and cities. Paris offered so many choices for site seeing. I loved the arrangement of the images!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, I forgot to place my name in the previous post.
    -Emiro

    ReplyDelete